- Elementary & Early Childhood Ed.
- Secondary & Middle Education
- Inclusive Education
- Educational Leadership
- Instructional Technology
- Graduate Advisement Center
- Education Student Services
- Center for Education Placement & Partnerships
- Literacy Center
- iTeach Center
- International Field Experiences
- Teacher Resource & Activity Center (TRAC)
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
- Alumni, Friends, and Visitors
EDS - Educational Leadership
Educational Specialist (Ed.S.)
Admission deadline: ALL documents must be submitted by deadline date
Terms: Fall, July 1 Spring, December 1 Summer, April 15
The Educational Specialist (EDS) in Educational Leadership is a professional degree program for qualified candidates who do not have a specialist or doctoral degree and who are pursuing clear, renewable leadership certification in Georgia (PL-6). The “Certification Only” program is for candidates who already possess an EDS or EDD, but do not have leadership certification. The program can be completed in as few as three (3) or as many as five (5) semesters, depending on the candidate’s preference.
A “Performance Based” Residency Program
Unlike traditional programs, the majority of coursework in the performance-based leadership program occurs in the candidate’s school. Of the twenty-seven (27) hours in the EDS program, eighteen (18) are residency, in which course meetings and course work are performed at the candidate’s school site. Each candidate has an individualized leadership plan, which is negotiated each semester between university faculty, the candidate, and a school-identified mentor. These plans identify authentic, meaningful projects that the candidate will complete within the school and on which he or she will demonstrate mastery of course material. All eighteen (18) hours of the “certificate only” program are performed in residency.
Program of Study:
Core Courses (9 Hours)
EDL 8000 Foundations of Distributed Leadership for Learning
EDRS 8000 Applied Quantitative & Qualitative Research
EDRS 8900 Applied Field Research
Residency Courses (18 hours)
EDL 8300 Intercultural Communication and Global Learning
EDL 8810 Vision and Governance
EDL 8820 Managing the Physical Environment
EDL 8830 Curriculum, Assessment and Instruction
EDL 8840 Professional Learning
EDL 8850 Managing Human Resources
EDL 8860 Transition Between Building and System Levels
- NO GRE REQUIRED!
- Adminssion Checklist (PDF)
- Candidate is classified by his or her school district as being employed in a “leadership role.”
- Agreement that the candidate's school district agrees to “support” candidate in this program (please check with your human resouces department for more information).
- Complete a program application linked here
- Hold a master’s degree – or higher – in a professional education or related field.
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of teaching or administrative experience
- Hold a master’s degree in educational leadership, OR current Georgia leadership certification (L), OR complete an online six (6) hour PSC-approved “leadership preservice.”
- Submit the following forms with your application:
For more information:
|Graduate Programs in Education
Mary Chandler, Ph.D., M.B.A.
updated: March 16, 2013