- Elementary & Early Childhood Ed.
- Secondary & Middle Education
- Inclusive Education
- Educational Leadership
- Instructional Technology
- Graduate Advisement Center
- Education Student Services
- Center for Education Placement & Partnerships
- Literacy Center
- iTeach Center
- International Field Experiences
- Teacher Resource & Activity Center (TRAC)
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
- Alumni, Friends, and Visitors
Urban Education Option
STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD AND JOIN THE URBAN EDUCATION OPTION
The Urban Education option is a track within KSU’s traditional teacher education programs in which teacher candidates receive special training in teaching students who are English language learners, students with special needs, and students who are economically disadvantaged. Teacher candidates also receive specific instruction in the use of technology, classroom management, differentiation, assessment, literacy, and engaging families. The Urban Education Option is a two-year commitment in which the majority of junior and senior level education courses and field work take place at 7 Cobb County public schools and are taught by teams of KSU faculty and Cobb County faculty.
The mission of KSU’s Urban Education option is to partner with Cobb County teachers, parents, community groups, and administrators, as well as students to prepare teacher candidates to effectively teach in high needs schools. This partnership will provide opportunities for KSU students to become change agents in their communities and empowered to improve academic outcomes for urban students.
Urban Education does not guarantee job placement in our schools, however 92% of our graduates have accepted a teaching position within 3 months of completing their yearlong internship. In addition, our Induction Committee assigns a mentor to all UE graduates that accept a teaching position in the Atlanta Metro area to guide/support them through the first years of teaching.
Upcoming Information Sessions:
Visit the Urban Education office during your next advising appointment at ESS
Attend an informational session to speak with current interns about their experiences!
Cohort 3 Graduation Celebration:
Cohort 5 Orientation:
Friday August 15, 2014 8:00 AM at TBA
To be eligible to participate in the Urban Education option, candidates must:
- Have a minimum 2.75 adjusted GPA
- Be ready for some junior level course work by fall 2014
- Be able to take responsibility for transportation to and from the schools in Area 2, which is located in the southern quadrant of Cobb County, in the Smyrna/Marietta region
- Provide application materials including letters of recommendation, a background check, completed verification of liability insurance form, and participate in an interview
Fall 2014 admission
- Admission deadline for current students has passed and transfer students have until August 1 to apply
To apply for the Urban Education option, please contact:
Paul Volkman, Recruitment Administrator
Phone: (770) 499-3180, Fax: (770) 794-7737, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UE office is located in Kennesaw Hall (ESS) room 1308
*The UE Office is located on the first floor of Kennesaw Hall inside the Education Student Services Center (formerly TEAC). The ESS entrance is room 1314.
|UE Flyer.png||1.74 MB|
|Urban_Ed_brochure 2014.pdf||1.55 MB|
|UEO Info Session Presentation.pptx||3.88 MB|